[Nhcoll-l] hypersensitivity to denatured alcohol

Hawks, Catharine HawksC at si.edu
Wed Feb 20 10:21:08 EST 2013

It is certainly true in the US that denatured alcohol can contain any of hundreds of denaturant chemicals, mostly designed to make people physically ill if they try to drink it. Some are extremely powerful purgatives. The agency that regulates alcohol in the US keeps the info on the additives rather secret because the additives are often specific to a particular manufacturer and can be detected by particular analytical methods used by the agency in policing the sales of alcohols.

Cathy
Catharine Hawks
Conservator
Research & Collections, NHB 394
National Museum of Natural History, MRC 106
Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012
Office 202.633.0835