[Nhcoll-l] The theortical basis of biological classification

David Penney David.Penney at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Jan 29 07:38:16 EST 2013

Earlier this month we published a book that will be of interest to some readers of this list: Nomosystematics – A closer look at the theoretical foundation of biological classification by Boris Zakharov (he studies spiders at AMNH). I found this a fascinating read, quite unlike anything else I have come across before. It is a relatively short and easy-to-read philosophical account of the human mind’s ability to conceptualize exactly what a species and/or organism is and how biology compares with other disciplines that are based on strict laws of nature. This book would make an excellent subject for undergraduate tutorial discussion groups and I expect it will be of interest to anybody who describes new species, in addition to biologists in general. More details can be found on the Siri Scientific Press website (click the front cover image. The book can also be purchased on that page): http://www.siriscientificpress.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx

We also have other titles available that will be of interest to collections managers, particularly entomology curators.

Best regards, Dave Penney

Dr David Penney FRES
Honorary Lecturer, Faculty of Life Sciences (Preziosi Lab), University of Manchester, UK
http://www.siriscientificpress.co.uk/Pages/DavidPenneyresearch.aspx
Siri Scientific Press
http://www.siriscientificpress.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx