[Nhcoll-l] Valuation of holotypes, syntypes and figured specimens

Dirk Neumann Dirk.Neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Tue Jul 9 10:58:48 EDT 2013

Hi Neil,

this is a tricky question - if you would only like to ensure specimens
itself (against any potential damages caused by the borrower), you could
put any value to the complete loan or single specimens you would
consider sufficient, e.g. travel costs that would be needed to
re-collect all these specimens at the same localities - having in mind
that you cannot replace these types anyway if they are returned damaged
or are lost.

For putting a insurance to a shipment (not to the specimens itself),
most shipments channelled via national or private postal carriers have a
free of charge insurance that covers damages or losses up to 500 EUR.
However, if you tick the box or fill in a even higher insurance value,
have in mind that the high value of the consignment will cause turnover
tax upon import in the country of destination (if the consignee is
outside of the European Community). Up to 50 EUR, most imports are
either not charged or exempt from turnover tax.

A high insurance value may not only potentially delay your shipment, it
might also call customs to inspect it (which may result in damage to the
specimens because both, postal carrier staff opening parcels and customs
officers during inspection are well- renowned for their rough handling).
Frankly, for sending types abroad, I would always avoid to put any
insurance on a shipment but would use well known companies like FedEx or
UPS etc. which offer express delivery (2-3 days) to make sure that
specimens arrive in due time and that I / my institute will be notified
immediately in case of any problem. Also, this option allows on-line
tracking of parcels (impossible with national postal carriers if
consignments are forwarded over international borders)

Hope this offers you some guidance ...

All the best
Dirk

Am 09.07.2013 16:28, schrieb Neil Clark:
> Has anyone had any experience of putting insurance valuations on type
> and figured specimens for loans? I have a particular collection that I
> have had a request for a loan of, but I have been told that I will
> need to put a valuation on each specimen. There are about 100
> specimens that are mostly syntypes (I can't tell which are the
> holotypes as the original describer in the early 1900s did not specify
> a holotype and no-one has looked at them since to designate a
> lectotype). The specimens were the only ones used in the original
> descriptions of each species, so I am assuming that they are at least
> syntypes? I can't send them out until an insurance valuation can be
> given, and I don't want to hold up the research. Any thoughts?
> Neil
>
> Dr Neil D. L. Clark
> Curator
>

> The Hunterian
> University of Glasgow
> Gilbert Scott Building
> Glasgow G12 8QQ
>
> E-mail: Neil.Clark at glasgow.ac.uk
> Tel: +44(0)141 330 4561
> Website: www.glasgow.ac.uk/hunterian
>
> *Current Exhibition*
> This Unrivalled Collection: The Hunterian's first catalogue - 15 March
> 2013 - 11 August 2013
> Hagar and the Angel -- unitil 25 August 2013
>
> The Entire Collection cared for by The Hunterian is a Recognised
> Collection of National Significance to Scotland
> University of Glasgow, charity number SC004401

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/