[Nhcoll-l] Valuation of holotypes, syntypes and figured specimens

Neil Clark Neil.Clark at glasgow.ac.uk
Tue Jul 9 15:59:04 EDT 2013

Thank you Doug and Dirk,

All very useful comments which I will take to our collections team who deal with loans. Thanks also to all the others who provided comments, all of which will be of great help in arguing for a reasonable insurance valuation to allow the research to be undertaken. It is a strange collection with conditions attached to the original bequest which states that the material cannot be loaned out except to the NHM in London if they have a better microscope (which is most definitely the case!). The material is all palaeobotanical so would be subject to the ICBN. The type locality is still extant, so no problem with new material.

I realise that there are probably slight differences in interpretation between the ICZN and the ICBN, but hopefully it will never come to the situation where more material has to be collected.

Cheers,

Neil