[Nhcoll-l] Formaldehyde and IATA

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Thu Jun 6 10:43:51 EDT 2013

Hi all

It was recently brought to my attention by Dirk Neumann that the entry for formaldehyde in the dangerous goods table of the latest IATA manual (version 54) has been amended to exclude the phrase "Formaldehyde solution with >10% but <25% formaldehyde" as in the below screenshot from the old manual:

[cid:image001.png at 01CE5B89.F8A0AD90]

This obviously affects our ability to ship dilute formalin solutions with specimens - what we call 10% which is actually 3.7%.

I emailed my contact at IATA and he informed me that it was removed after some discussion at the last Dangerous Goods meeting but in its place a special provision SP A 189 was added which states:

A189 Except where the defining criteria of another class or division are met, concentrations of formaldehyde solution:

(a) with 10% or more, but less than 25% formaldehyde must be classified as UN 3334 Aviation regulated liquid, n.o.s.; and

(b) with less than 10% formaldehyde are not subject to these Regulations.

So, it appears as if status quo has been maintained, just in another way.  Solutions of 3.7% formalin are still exempt from the dangerous goods regulations and can be transported internationally by courier as before.  By definition, as it is outside the scope of the dangerous goods regulations and is not classified as an aviation regulated liquid, it can also be carried onto a plane as checked and carry on (subject to TSA regulations) baggage.

Hope that helps

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>