[Nhcoll-l] Rock, mineral and fossil appraisals

Erin McDonald erin.mcdonald at ualberta.ca
Tue Jun 11 17:59:09 EDT 2013

Within the Canadian context, the museum is accountable for the value stated
on the tax receipt. The institution is obligated to ensure the appraisal is
meeting some basic guidelines, and establishes a justifiable fair market
value.

I would strongly advise, for this matter, the two countries have vastly
different requirements. Canadian institutions should definitely consult
with similar institutions in Canada for specific CRA guidelines.

We have run into some interesting challenges when we have a Curator who
comes from the US context, so it's important to understand the differences.

Cheers!

Erin.