[Nhcoll-l] dry skeleton from formalin-fixed material?

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 13:20:45 EDT 2013

Do not use enzyme-based detergents for skeletal prep.  The enzymes will
cause permanent, irreversible damage to the bone.  This has been
well-documented:
Shelton, S.Y., and J.S.Buckley.  1990.  Observations on enzyme preparation
effects on skeletal material.  Collection Forum 6(2):76-81

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Lecturer in Art