[Nhcoll-l] dry skeleton from formalin-fixed material?

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 18 13:20:45 EDT 2013

Hi Meredith,

I used to use the Antiformin technique for formalin-fixed material but it's rather fierce and the skel can easily disarticulate if left too long.  Otherwise I skin and soak the specimen in water for 24-48 hours and then use fleshing crystal solution.  I have found that enzymes are still a bit shy if there's any trace of formalin but the crystals work OK (from Snowdonia taxidermy supplies).  The results have been good and not formalin-impreg'd.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
www.natural-history-conservation.com