[Nhcoll-l] Questions about mount and bone storange

Dawn Roberts droberts at naturemuseum.org
Wed Nov 13 11:47:23 EST 2013

For smaller mounts, construct a stand that the branch/exhibit base clips
onto and store these in a cabinet. If your storage system includes
pull-out drawers, make sure that the stand and the attachment method of
the exhibit base to the stand is stable enough to limit the bouncing or
other movement of the specimen when you pull out the drawers.  Larger
mounts may just be fastened to the wall in a safe area. Storing them
upright will help prevent damage to the specimen.

There's a variety of storage methods for non-articulated skeletal
materials, depending on the funds and storage areas available and how
you want to use them. If the bones are in stable condition, you can
house them in an archival box in a cabinet. For more fragile elements,
you can create supports with archival foams: block ethafoam carved with
a heat knife is useful for larger pieces, then line the edges of the
foam with acid-free tissue, tyvek, or other inert material; plastazote
foam provides a smooth, soft surface for friable objects; create support
pillows out of stockinette tubing, cotton muslin, etc. and polyester
fiberfill. If you want them laid out for easy comparison (e.g. femurs
from different birds are housed together), line a drawer with ethafoam
or plastazote and carve little spots for each piece to rest in position
(this keeps them from rolling about).

Dawn Roberts | Collections Manager

The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

2430 North Cannon Drive, Chicago, IL 60614 | Main 773-755-5100 | Fax
773-755-5199 | www.naturemuseum.org

Museum Collections and Archives, Collections Facility and Office
4001 N Ravenswood Avenue, Suite 201, Chicago, IL 60613 | Direct
773-755-5125

The Urban Gateway to Nature and Science