[Nhcoll-l] Vat Issues

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Nov 28 02:19:30 EST 2013

Dear Heidi,

colleagues at the Natural History Museum in Berlin introduced large
stainless-steel tanks used in large to store their canteen kitchens
specimens in the fish collection. While these are movable (tanks with
fixed wheels), London uses similar but much larger stainless-steel tanks
for storage that are fixed to the ground.

In both cases, the cover of the tanks is designed in a way that a steel
lip running inside of the lid near its outer margin neatly fits into the
tank when lifting or closing the lid (like a drainboard), thus
preventing condensing ethanol from direct contact with the gasket (which
is fixed on a ledge running around the outer rim of the tank).

The movable canteen tanks have a bottom outlet plug which is apparently
quite handy if you have to empty the tanks for any reason.

All the best
Dirk

Am 27.11.2013 23:02, schrieb Gartner, Heidi RBCM:EX:

> Hello All!
>
> We are looking for suggestions/recommendations regarding an issue we
> are having with our vat storage.
>
> We use vats to store our fluid-preserved, large specimens.  Lately we
> have been using fishery type totes with lids fitted with a rubberized
> foam/neoprene gasket that fits in a small grooved channel within the
> lid (see photo).  We are finding that 1) the gaskets are always
> falling out, 2) that they can easily expand or stretch so that they
> don't fit and fall out, and 3) that when we can get the gasket to stay
> in, there is still a decent amount of evaporation that happens.
>
> Does anyone have any recommendations on how best to deal with our
> current system?  Recommendations for other systems?
>
> Thank you,
>
> IMG_20131021_091521
>
> *______________________________________________________________________________________________*
>
> *Heidi Gartner, MSc. *Collection Manager, Invertebrates  |  Archives,
> Collections & Knowledge
>

> 675 Belleville Street, Victoria, BC Canada V8W 9W2
> T 250 387-2932
> HGartner at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca <mailto:HGartner at royalbcmuseum.bc.ca>|
> www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca <http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca>
>
> Join us on: Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/RoyalBCMuseum> |
> Twitter <https://twitter.com/#%21/RoyalBCMuseum> | Flickr
> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/36463010@N05/> | Google+
> <https://plus.google.com/113796680038902977366?prsrc=3#113796680038902977366/posts>
>
> The world's best 100 all-new winning images for 2013 -- */Wildlife
> Photographer of the Year
> <http://royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/exhibitions/upcoming/2013-wildlife-photographer-of-the-year/>/*
> -- opens November 29.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/