[Nhcoll-l] specimen tanks

Laura Abraczinskas abraczi1 at msu.edu
Fri Apr 4 13:27:45 EDT 2014

Hi Richard and Andy,

The MSU Museum has some tanks that Andy describes, and also stainless steel
drums (30 gallon and 55 gallon sizes) for  large fluid-preserved vertebrate
specimens.  We obtained these from the former “Lab Safety Supply” company,
which is now “Grainger”.  See link for some examples and images of these
barrels.

http://www.grainger.com/product/Drum-4GY38?s_pp=false
(Our university receives a discount from this company).

There are several sizes.  We use the “open head” model and the closure is a
lid with a circular metal band that tightens with a large bolt and screw.
Most of our drums are stored in flammable liquid cabinets, but a couple are
on the floor in a small room with other  fluid-preserved specimens on
shelving.  The barrels in this room are 30 gallon size and not full.  These
containers and system were approved by our campus health and safety office.

If I may provide other information, please let me know.
Best,
Laura

Laura Abraczinskas, Collections Manager
Vertebrate Collections