[Nhcoll-l] SPNHC2014 Abstract Call: Integration of scientific collections into environmental change research

Graham, Eileen GrahamE at si.edu
Wed Apr 23 14:03:11 EDT 2014

Colleagues,

Scientific Collections International (SciColl) and The Natural History Museum London (NHM) will host a breakout session at the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections (SPNHC) 2014 Annual Meeting, held during the afternoon sessions on 25 June 2014.  The main theme is the integration of scientific collections into environmental change research. Natural history and other scientific collections, such as core, soil and genetic libraries, offer relatively under-utilized or under-integrated sources of critical evidence about the past, and hold the potential for refining our understanding of how natural systems respond to environmental change.

We would like to hear your experiences and have your input regarding the use of collections in environmental and climate change research, especially cases where research and collections have bridged multiple disciplines, including connections to anthropology and archaeology.

We ask that those interested in presenting either as a full speaker (15 minutes w/ questions) or lighting talk and panel member (5 minute lighting round) submit abstracts following the SPNHC 2014 system here: http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/spnhc2014/submissions/.  Additionally, please add "SciColl/NHM" in the subject line of your submission email.  Submissions are due by 5 May 2014.

Not interested in presenting, but still have something to share about collections, environmental change, and interdisciplinary work?  Join us for our panel and open discussions.  We want to hear from you, the collections professionals, about how you think your collections could be better utilized and how communication and access across collections can be improved.

See our full session description here: http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/media/31183/SciCollNHM_SPNHC-18Mar14.pdf

**Additional Event: Save the Date** We will also be hosting a 2-day conference at NHM London, 15-16 September 2014.  If you can't make it to SPNHC, please consider joining us at this event which will focus on the integration of interdisciplinary collections and environmental change research.  More details will follow in the coming weeks.

Thank you!

~Eileen and Ellinor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eileen Graham, Program Manager

Scientific Collections International

e: grahame at si.edu

p: 202-633-0256

t: @sci_coll

w: www.scicoll.org<http://www.scicoll.org>

Dr Ellinor MICHEL

Department of Life Sciences

The Natural History Museum

Cromwell Road

SW7 5BD London  UK  tel: +44-207-942-5516

http://nhm.academia.edu/EllinorMichel

www.researchgate.net/profile/Ellinor_Michel<http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ellinor_Michel>