[Nhcoll-l] Unique IDs for museum objects versus specimens

Derek Sikes dssikes at alaska.edu
Mon Aug 18 17:53:06 EDT 2014

Colin et al.

I also think simple (dumb) numbers are best for the reasons stated. We use
2D barcodes on specimens and vials (e.g. UAM100057034).

For lots we create a record in Arctos for each identification. Thus a vial
with three species, 12 specimens, becomes 3 Arctos records - each with a
part lot count, for example 1, 1, and 10. All share the container 'vial'
which has a barcode. Each record gets a GUID like:

UAM:Ento:247065

Thus the GUIDs denote records (identifications), the barcodes are for the
containers the parts are in (or in the case of pins, on).

Therefore, 10,000 of our vials might represent 30,000 records if there is
an average of 3 taxa identified per vial. (This is common for projects with
lots of specimens, we only mount on pins or otherwise isolate a
representative series of each taxon).

Preparations / parts (eg a leg in a cryovial) are listed under the single
GUID with each container getting its own barcode. In many cases we have
just one part 'whole organism'. A single specimen (one GUID) could have 3
parts (3 barcodes): body, cryovial leg, and genitalia slide.

So a single container (barcode) can have multiple taxa (GUIDs) and a single
specimen can have multiple barcoded containers.

I like this way of managing bulk samples. For example, a trap sample can be
entered simply as one record 'Arthropoda' or, if inspected, a separate
record for each identification in the sample (Coleoptera, Hemiptera,
Hymenoptera, etc) can be made. This allows this sample to be found if
someone is searching for any of these taxa.

If all the Coleoptera are then removed from the sample and pinned, the
Coleoptera record from the bulk trap sample can be turned into a pinned
specimen record and cloned to make all the remaining pinned specimen
records.

We are just now loaning out a long series of pinned flies that have
phoretic or parasitic mites on them. Each pinned fly has two records in
Arctos - one for the fly and one for the mites. Both share the container
'pin' with a shared barcode. If the mites get moved to a vial or slide,
their barcodes will change. Relationships between the fly and mite will
link these records together, for example a beetle related to a vial of
mites http://arctos.database.museum/guid/UAM:Ento:104251

It can become difficult to isolate a single specimen of a single taxon that
has multiple specimens in a container (eg 10 of the same spider species).

For spiders in vials (eg 10 specimens of 1 species) that we DNA barcode,
rather than make a new vial (which would require a new database record, new
label, etc). We put the spider from which a leg was removed inside a
genitalia vial inside the larger vial and a new small label that indicates
the spider in the genitalia vial is a DNA barcode voucher. If the spider is
too large for this we do transfer it to a new vial. We have plans to move
all our specimens that were successfully DNA barcoded to cryovials into our
-70 freezers to better preserve their remaining genomic material.

-Derek

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Derek S. Sikes, Curator of Insects
Associate Professor of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive
Fairbanks, AK   99775-6960

dssikes at alaska.edu

phone: 907-474-6278
FAX: 907-474-5469

University of Alaska Museum  -
http://www.uaf.edu/museum/collections/ento/

Society and / or sign up for the email listserv "Alaska Entomological
Network" at
http://www.akentsoc.org/contact.php