[Nhcoll-l] Unique IDs for museum objects versus specimens

Dean Pentcheff pentcheff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 19:01:24 EDT 2014

[I have just discovered that I never hit "Send" on this comment. Sorry!]

How significant my objection is would be a matter of opinion...

But here it is. What's outlined there is, in effect, a two-level system.
There are "first class" specimen IDs (e.g. "INST-123456") and then one
"derived" level (e.g. "INST-123456.077"). This is analogous to Doug's
system described earlier.

There are several appealing aspects to that. One is that it's apparent on
inspection that the ".077" item is directly descended from the "123456"
item. Cool. Another is that it's easy to gather together all the objects
that came from "INST-123456" by inspection if they're in front of you,
intermixed with other objects.

There are some downsides, though. One is that, in situations where there
can be multiple levels of derivation, we move to the more generalized
system as outlined by Lena above (e.g. 123456 <- 123456.077 <-
123456.077.012 <- 123456.077.012.003 ...). There's an increasing problem of
length and complexity with this scheme. (This is not academic, by the way,
we really do have quite a few examples where this many or more levels of
derivation happen with objects in our collections.)

The particular scheme you propose also has an implicit limit to the number
of derived objects. The "-077" implies to me that up to 999 items can be
derived at a single level. Though that's probably fine for nearly every
case, I think we'd agree that dropping one number and going with "-77" is
insufficient. So we have a nearly-always-useless "0" floating around with
every ID.

These are the sorts of concerns that sway me back towards a single,
numerical, opaque identifier for every "thing" that needs tracking. It's up
to a data system somewhere to keep track of the relationships (and they can
also be printed on permanent labels where that is practical).

-Dean
--
Dean Pentcheff
pentcheff at gmail.com