[Nhcoll-l] storage of SEM stubs

Trine Sørensen trsr at museum-sonderjylland.dk
Wed Feb 19 03:28:34 EST 2014

Dear Karen and all the rest of you good people!

While experiencing specimens over time falling of the SEM stubs and mixing with other specimens on the same stub or specimens from other stubs in the same box, we have introduced the praxis removing the specimens, after all  research has ended, from the stubs and keeping them in vials or micro slides instead. It reduces the appearance of curatorial headaches a great deal!

Obviously this problem depends on the adhesive being used. But I guess most/all adhesives at some point looses their properties...

And if I may add a question of my own:

So far we have made no attempts removing the coating (gold), but did read somewhere about pyrite oxidation going on hidden underneath coatings on palaeontological specimens. And even though our specimens are stored in 35-45% RH, and I have not detected any signs of oxidation, I fear it might turn into another headache, while pyrite oxidation once in a while is an issue in our collection.

Has anyone experienced that kind of problems/any thoughts?

All the best,

Trine

Trine Sørensen

Conservator of natural history (MSc)

Museum of Southern Jutland, Department of Conservation

Fabriksvej 17-21,

DK-6510 Gram.

Denmark

Telephone.: (+45) 73 82 01 60