[Nhcoll-l] barcoding pros and cons

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Feb 28 13:13:34 EST 2014

Dear Rick,

a general question to consider is for which type of collection barcodes
should be used and if barcodes are applied parallel (e.g. additional
stickers on jars) or considered as replacement for the "old-fashioned"
numbering / accession system.

If barcodes should be used to replace previous accession numberings, the
access of the collection will be completely dependent on the readability
of barcodes (and thus on technical reading devices that might go out of
production and support in approx. 20-50 years), and second, on the
longevity of the adhesive of the barcode stickers. I wouldn't buy into
this if barcode labels are to replace traditional accession numbers &
labelling - we still can read traditional labels inscribed centuries ago

Barcodes are in common use for tissue DNA-tubes, tubes lack in most
collections any additional (external) analogous (readable) labelling.
Same problem here: you need to scan to know what is included, and you
should make sure that the barcode system you (wish to) choose offers a
type of inscription that ensures that the barcode remains readable if
larger parts of the barcode (label) are damaged (e.g. scratches, cracks,
staining, etc.).

I would invest in a good collection management software rather then in
barcodes.

Hope this offers some guidance ...

All the best
Dirk