[Nhcoll-l] PTFE tape on jars

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Fri Jan 10 16:48:17 EST 2014

Folks,

At least 20 years ago (before my time here), white plumbers' tape was wrapped around the edge of the lids and onto the sides of all the bottle and jars in a certain section of our alcohol collections. This is the PTFE tape that plumbers use to seal threads; it is thin, soft and non-adhesive. Presumably the idea was to provide a secondary vapor barrier in addition to the jar lid seal.
We are now doing long-overdue major maintenance on this collection, and are trying to assess the efficacy of this tape. I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who (a) has used it and can show it works (b) has used it and can show it doesn't work, or (c) who considered using it but decided not to, and why.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
callomon at ansp.org<mailto:callomon at ansp.org> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170