[Nhcoll-l] PTFE tape on jars

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Sat Jan 11 05:32:44 EST 2014

Dear All involved,

I have tried PTFE tape also and find, as John suggests, that it works well on jars with lids that are getting past-their-best and would normally need replacing.  However it does string together and fall apart when the jar is opened again and the time saved in having to replace it each time might well justify purchasing new jars anyway.
However, I recall the Mmes Steigerwald and Laframboise tested some tape by 3M back in the 1990s that went around the outside edge of the jar seal and was effective.  I know that this has since been superseded by something else...?

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
www.natural-history-conservation.com