[Nhcoll-l] histology slides

CSTURMJR at pitt.edu CSTURMJR at pitt.edu
Fri Jan 17 18:42:39 EST 2014

Katherine,

If you accession the slides, you could publish a short note in the journal
where the papers were published announcing that you have the material in
your collection and that it is available to other researchers.

> We are archiving about 40K microscope-slide preparations of parasites, as
> well as histological slides associated with the parasitology work.  We are
> using the classic 100-slide boxes shelved on end (like books) such that
> the
> slides are horizontal with their cover-slips up.
>
> The Burke herpetology collection is in Arctos, where it is common practice
> to build relationships between specimens and publications.  In the typical
> Arctos paradigm, the slides would be "parts" of the more inclusive
> cataloged item, and the cataloged item could have "citations" (a
> relationship between a cataloged-item and a publication).  Such
> relationships do much to demonstrate the importance of your collection!
>

> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Katherine Maslenikov <
> pearsonk at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>>    I'm curious how other collections handle requests to archive
>> histology slides.  We typically archive any slides or preparations made
>> from specimens in our collection, but I've had a request to donate a
>> collection of slides used in fish maturity studies.  There are no
>> voucher specimens, but the slides support several publications.  The
>> publications do not state that the slides are deposited at our museum,
>> so I don't know that anyone would ever come looking for them to verify
>> any findings from those publications. Still, they seem a reasonable
>> thing for us to archive, assuming they have all associated data.
>>    I'd love to hear what other folks are doing with such requests.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> -Katherine
>>
>> --
>> Katherine Maslenikov
>> Collections Manager
>> University of Washington Fish Collection
>> School of Aquatic and Fishery Sciences and
>> Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture
>> Box 355100
>> Seattle, WA 98195
>> (206) 543-3816
>> pearsonk at uw.edu
>> http://uwfishcollection.org

>> NHCOLL-L is brought to you by the Society for the Preservation of
>> Natural History Collections (SPNHC), an international society whose
>> mission is to improve the preservation, conservation and management of
>> natural history collections to ensure their continuing value to
>> society. See http://www.spnhc.org for membership information.
>>

> --
> Gordon Jarrell
> Museum of Southwestern Biology
> University of New Mexico
> Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001
> mobile: 505-506-2145

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine