[Nhcoll-l] long-term storage of amphibian larvae in formalin

A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl
Wed Jul 2 15:26:45 EDT 2014

DMDMH (trade names Dekafald/Glydant) could just be the best of both worlds (formalin-acidification versus ethanol-shrinkage). It is a stable aldehyde compound with neutral pH (6.5-7.5) in aqueous solutions and seem to have less impact on degrading DNA. It is sure worth giving it a try. Preferred concentration: 5-10% of saturated stock solution (55%) with addition of 5-10% glycerol.

Regards,

Dries

Andries J. van Dam, conservator

Museum of Anatomy
Leiden University Medical Center
Building 3 (V3-32)
P.O.Box 9600
2300 RC Leiden
The Netherlands
tel: +31 (0)71 52 68356
E-mail: A.J.van_Dam at lumc.nl
Visiting address: Hippocratespad 21
Scientific associate Natural History Museum London
http://www.nhm.ac.uk<http://www.nhm.ac.uk/>
Directory Board member ICOM-CC
http://www.icom-cc.org<http://www.icom-cc.org/>

Director Alcomon Company