[Nhcoll-l] Formalin testing in ethanol solutions

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 14 12:18:34 EDT 2014

Hi Paul,

I use Schiff reagent, slightly less convenient than a formalin tester strip but cheaper. Small sample of fluid in a beaker, pipette a drop of Schiff and depending how quickly and intensely it turns magenta (or not = negative) you can become quite experienced in quantifying the amount of formaldehyde present.
One obvious caveat: be careful not to contaminate the Schiff bottle!

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
www.natural-history-conservation.com