[Nhcoll-l] Collections insurance values

Peter Rauch peterar at berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 28 22:23:02 EDT 2014

David comments, "...but the authorities, and probably even insurance
companies, have a different view and do not understand the scientific
value."

Among the myriad issues (e.g., the IRS, the insurance valuations, the
"replacement" valuations, etc), there is the "they don't understand" issue
and it is this one which "We" must repeatedly assess, engage, and fight to
have be understood (regardless of whether the outcome of those excercises
does not change the valuation, the valuation protocols and criteria).

The "market place" that does not factor into accounts the environmental
costs of "doing business" is the one that got our Earth into the dire
dilemma we live now. THAT is where our sampling of the world's biota finds
its most valuable representation to Humanity.

"From an insurance standpoint", or from a humanity-in-the-balance
standpoint ?  Where do WE look to find the value of a biological collection
(lost) ?

WE should set the standard, and others can choose to fail to meet it and/or
to ignore it.

Peter