[Nhcoll-l] dermestid and clothes moth infestation

sam sam at qty.com
Tue Jun 10 16:16:04 EDT 2014

Hi Nhcollers-

"Bagging" study skins for freezing is very quick,
and easy with a wide-seam (4-5 mm) impulse
heat sealer. I bought long rolls of poly tubing in
assorted widths from Sorbent Systems. But that
was long ago. You might have better luck at
Uline these days. For mammals with sharp claws
you might want to use a thicker, heavy gauge
poly. I remember devising a method that did not
require cutting the tubing, but rather pulling on it
at exactly the right time in the heat cycle. These
days I use the same set-up at home to repack
bulk food, re-seal a Cheerios bag, and to keep
small parts together.

Best,
Sam Sumida
Former nhm collection manager.