[Nhcoll-l] taxidermy and mold/mildew

Hawks, Catharine HawksC at si.edu
Wed Jun 18 19:40:59 EDT 2014

I would like to add to Steve's excellent comments.

The idea that the specimens have both mold and residues of arsenicals seems unliklely. Arsenic salts are deadly to mold.

It is possible that what is being viewed as mold may actually be salt efflorescences from any number of sources ranging from past treatments to naturally occurring materials, fatty spue, or even darkening caused by the action of mercury choride treatments on sulfur-containing substrates (like hair and feathers) that have been exposed to light after treatment.

Verifying the presence of mold by having a qualified mycologist examine the residues should be the first step. There are indeed, uncomplicated protocols for decontamination should mold be actually present.

Cathy

Catharine Hawks
Conservator
National Museum of Natural History, MRC 106
Research & Collections, NHB 394
Smithsonian Institution
PO Box 37012
Washington, DC 20013-7012