[Nhcoll-l] Telling formalin from ethanol

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Mar 7 01:41:15 EST 2014

Hi all,

be carefully testing ketone denatured alcohols with the Anton-Paar
density metre; the density metre is offered in two different qualities
(internal measuring units based on plastic vs. stainless steel
components). For ketone denatured alcohols (e.g. MEK, which is going to
be the mandatory due to a new EU regulation to harmonise alcohol
denaturants stipulated in autumn 2013), choose the stainless steel
version. Make sure to thoroughly rinse the Anton Paar with distilled or
deionised water after each measuring.

More information on how to test natural history specimens is offered herre:
http://www.anton-paar.com/?eID=documentsDownload&document=26579&L=0

All the best
Dirk

Am 07.03.2014 02:13, schrieb Kate Pocklington:
> Telling formalin from ethanol
>
> Hey Megan,
>
> If you're looking for a long-term solution you could invest in a
> density meter. We have one here in Singapore and I used one in my
> previous job at Oxford University with over 6000 jars - it definitely
> speeds things up!
> It's useful to have one for identifying between formalin and alcohol
> and also for checking the percentage of the preservative.
>
> They are quite pricey but they're worth it in the long run
> http://www.anton-paar.com/corp-en/products/details/portable-density-meter-dma-35/
>
> Cheers!
>
> Kate

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/