[Nhcoll-l] Translucent residue

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Mon Mar 10 10:40:00 EDT 2014

Dear Mandy & Evelyn

this seems to be especially an issue with soda-lime glass of poor
quality (especially in the 1940ies to 1950ies). Check (against light) if
microcracks are visible (opening fissures) - if yes, replace the
specimen jars as jars may crack spontaneously (at accelerated rate under
fluctuating environments / climate control) and are difficult to monitor
over years.

All the best
Dirk

Am 10.03.2014 13:30, schrieb Evelyn.Ayre at pch.gc.ca:

> Hi Mandy,
>
> This sounds to me as though you are seeing glass degradation.
>  Sometimes called glass disease, this phenomena manifests as
> iridescence and flaking and is caused by a leaching out of the alkali
> component of the glass.  I have only seen this on archaeological
> glass, but it's possible that this is what's happening to your
> glassware.  What kind of glassware do you have?  And is it very old?
>
> *Evelyn Ayre*
> Conservator - Intern | Restauratrice - Stagiaire
> Preservation Services | Services de préservation
> Canadian Conservation Institute | Institut canadien de conservation
> Department of Canadian Heritage | Ministère du Patrimoine canadien
> 1030 Innes Road | 1030 chemin Innes
> Ottawa ON Canada K1B 4S7
> evelyn.ayre at pch.gc.ca
> Telephone | Téléphone  1 (613) 998-3721 ext | poste 235
> Facsimile | Télécopieur 1 (613) 998-4721
> Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada
>
> Inactive hide details for Mandy Reid ---10/03/2014 01:20:01
> AM---Apologies that this is off the current topic, but does anyone
> Mandy Reid ---10/03/2014 01:20:01 AM---Apologies that this is off the
> current topic, but does anyone know what the shiny, flaky and slightl
>
> From: Mandy Reid <Mandy.Reid at austmus.gov.au>
> To: "'nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu'" <nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu>,
> Cc: Anders Hallan <Anders.Hallan at austmus.gov.au>
> Date: 10/03/2014 01:20 AM
> Subject: [Nhcoll-l] Translucent residue
> Sent by: nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu

> Apologies that this is off the current topic, but does anyone know
> what the shiny, flaky and slightly mirror-like reside is that forms on
> the sides of glassware that has previously contained 5-10%
> seawater/formalin that has been buffered using sodium bicarbonate? It
> is very difficult to wash of glassware as a rule but it sometimes
> flakes off in small particles.
>
> I am wondering whether it is a harmful if inadvertently inhaled.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> Mandy
>
> *Dr Mandy Reid*
> Collection Manager, Malacology, Australian Museum Research Institute
> *Australian Museum* 6 College Street Sydney NSW 2010 Australia*
> t* 61 2 9320 6412 *f* 61 2 9320 6253
> *Visit*: _http://www.australianmuseum.net.au_
> <http://www.australianmuseum.net.au/>*
> Like*: _http://www.facebook.com/australianmuseum_*
> Follow*: _http://www.twitter.com/austmus_*
> Watch*: _http://www.youtube.com/austmus_
> Australian Museum
> *Inspiring the exploration of nature and cultures*
>
> Book Online _tyrannosaurs.com.au_ <http://tyrannosaurs.com.au/>
>
> Click here to read the Australian Museum email disclaimer:
>
> _http://info.austmus.gov.au/disclaimer.htm_

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/