[Nhcoll-l] Care & Use of Natural History Museum Collections Class--your input requested

Anita Cholewa chole001 at umn.edu
Tue Mar 11 12:15:02 EDT 2014

When I hire students to work in our collections - two skills come to mind.
Are they familiar enough with databases (of any kind) to be able to parse
out information into correct fields -- this can be taught.  The second
parallels David's "museum sensibility" and is an attention to details.  So
many times students say "oh yes, I can handle details" but oh no they
can't, and forget to do this or that or watch for this or that.  Asking
about hobbies is a great idea (I think I'll incorporate that in my
interviews) as certain hobbies will definitely require manual dexterity and
attention to details.

As for references for collection management:
1. Storage of Natural History Collections: Ideas and Practical Solutions,
edited by C.L. Rose and A.R. de Torres; available from the Society for the
Preservation of Natural History Collections
2. Manual of Curatorship: A Guide to Museum Practice, edited by J.M.A.
Thompson, published by Butterworth Heinemann but I believe it's available
from the American Association of Museums
3. Managing the Moder Herbarium: An Interdisciplinary Approach, edited by
D.A. Metsger and S.C. Byers; also available for the Society for the
Preservation of Natural History Collections

Cheers,
Anita

Anita F. Cholewa, Ph.D.
Curator of the UM Herbarium (MIN)