[Nhcoll-l] GRADUATE STUDENT SURVEY on the use and effectiveness of NSF funds in museum settings!

Meyer, Cailin Elise c104m065 at ku.edu
Thu Mar 27 14:52:23 EDT 2014

Dear Various Natural History Collection Managers, Curators, Researchers, and Professionals,

I am a museum studies graduate student at the University of Kansas, and I NEED YOUR FEEDBACK as part of my research thesis. The survey will only take five to ten minutes of your time, and is open to ANY INDIVIDUAL who is currently or has previously worked in an American museum or collections repository.

I am examining the potential for using NSF funding – in particular, funding allocated to the NSF’s Broader Impacts clause – as a resource for funding museum programs. NSF is the National Science Foundation, an American government entity that promotes science research and engineering by funding chosen proposals. The Broader Impacts clause states that the proposal must positively impact the public in some way.

This research examines whether NSF funds can be easily implemented for museum programs, and designs potential avenues for corroboration between NSF Principal Investigators and museum professionals to develop public outreach programs that support and promote current research in history, archaeology, and the life sciences/ecology. Such corroboration has the potential for increasing public awareness and public support for both museums and the NSF.

Results from this survey will be used to build an understanding of current use of grants for public education, and whether NSF is currently considered as a viable resource by museum professionals. Your participation in this survey is VERY IMPORTANT to this study.

Please take a few minutes to fill out this *anonymous survey.* Your participation will *greatly* impact my research. Again, it is open to any individual who is currently or has previously worked in an American museum: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MN8V5GH

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
-Cailin Meyer
MA Candidate
Museum Studies - University of Kansas
c104m065 at ku.edu