[Nhcoll-l] use of containers made from general purpose polystyrene ( GPPS ) in dry collection

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Mon May 5 21:31:59 EDT 2014

The main issue with polystyrene in terms of archival storage is that its formula is not fixed. The makers vary the proportions of certain plasticizers to maintain uniform flow in the molds by compensating for weather conditions. It does offgas a tiny amount, but nothing inimical to biological collections as far as we know.
We have used clear polystyrene for about 30 years now, and it has generally proven very stable. I've seen yellowing and crazing in some old polystyrene boxes in collections we have acquired, but they were usually lower-grade commercial packaging boxes (playing card boxes, for example) rather than purpose-made storage boxes. The yellowed ones tend to have spent long periods in hot, high-humidity environments too.
We have had more problems with deterioration of PTFE than with polystyrene, and the former is recommended by most museum people as stable.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
callomon at ansp.org Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170