[Nhcoll-l] CPD advice

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Thu May 8 18:48:04 EDT 2014

On 5/8/14 3:00 PM, Copley, Claudia RBCM:EX wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> Our "classic" critical point dryer finally gave up, so I am trying to
> figure out what would be suitable for the needs of the natural history
> section here at the museum but especially the entomology department
> --micro-Hymenoptera and Diptera predominantly. I am also hoping to be
> able to afford something fully automated, but with the usual museum
> limits on budgets. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about
> a fully automated CPD you're using?  Recommendations? ballpark
> pricing? perfect for an entomology collection...!

Since we dehydrate thousands of insects every year, I can offer two
things: (1) We have an automated unit, a Tousimis Autosamdri, that has
worked *reasonably* well for 12 years now. I don't think they still
offer the same unit, and while it's only broken down twice, the repairs
took a long time. It does require a constant supply of large CO2
cylinders, and we had to drill a hole in our outer wall for the vent.
(2) We ALSO use chemical CPD processing, with HMDS
(hexamethyldisilazane), and as alternatives go, the pros and cons of
HMDS are noteworthy: the chemical is fairly expensive, and it takes a
few hours and a fume hood to do it properly, BUT (a) one can do a larger
total number of specimens per unit time if the technician has a lot of
samples lined up and ready to go, and is willing to spend three hours
not doing anything else (b) one can process larger volumes of specimens,
and larger actual specimens, than can fit inside the tiny CPD chamber
(for example, you can dehydrate mantises, walking sticks, katydids, etc.)

For us, then, a lot depends on who we have doing the processing, and the
number of samples being processed; for full-time staff, or for single
samples, we'll use the CPD unit so we can put it in the machine and
forget it. For hourly workers or large numbers of samples, we use the
HMDS. BTW, an anecdotal observation we've heard and have not yet heard
refuted, is that HMDS-treated specimens are actively avoided by
dermestid larvae, and therefore potentially immune to being consumed.

Peace,