[Nhcoll-l] Reply to Minteer et al on how far collections contributed to (Re)extinction

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri May 23 08:53:03 EDT 2014

Dear all,

just two links emphasising scientific value & relevance of collections
opposing the recent concept (?) of Minteer et al arguing that high
resolution imaging of specimens could significantly contribute to
prevent biologist caused species extinction AND helping to overcome all
issues linked with physical (handling of) specimens in collections.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/05/140522141315.htm (free access)
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/344/6186/814

Apparently natural history collections (still) seem to be relevant and
needed for modern biodiversity research. Isn't this good news for the
weekend?
Sounds we should continue with our boring stuff - about to scrounge my
specimen jars ...

.... Enjoy

Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/ich/