[Nhcoll-l] Advice for pests in collections

Amanda Neill aneill at brit.org
Thu May 29 12:26:18 EDT 2014

Hi Mireia,

We use Gentrol in the BRIT Herbarium.  We have had no outbreaks since we started using it a couple of years ago:

http://zoecon.com/familyofproducts.php?family=Gentrol
“(S)-Hydroprene, the active ingredient in Gentrol, prevents pest larvae from progressing to the adult stage, either causing sterility of adults or preventing the emergence of insects from the pupal stage.  Since the baby bugs can’t grow up, they die, and since the adults can’t breed, the entire population will die out rapidly.  This chemical has no effect on humans and is safe for use in hospitals, schools, and places where food is prepared.  There is very little odor and what little there is will dissipate quickly.”
It is sprayed lightly on the inside of our cabinet doors every quarter I think, and does not seem to leave any residue.
Amanda

Amanda K. Neill |  Director of the Herbarium (BRIT-SMU-VDB) |  817.546.1842 |  BRIT.org<http://www.brit.org/>  | Botanical Research Institute of Texas  | 1700 University Dr., Fort Worth, TX 76107-3400 USA | Think Before You Print