[Nhcoll-l] LED lighting

Jim Druzik JDruzik at getty.edu
Mon Oct 20 09:08:23 EDT 2014

Are LED lights damaging to animal mounts?

No more so, and probably slightly less than tungsten or quartz-halogen.
But lighting without damage is an impossibility - a fool's errand some might suggest.

The following technical note came out a few days ago and tackles three myths about LED damage.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/buildings/ssl/pdfs/true-colors.pdf

I also strongly suggest anyone with an interest in this topic goggle the "U.S.
Department of Energy GATEWAY Reports" and you'll find three or four museum case studies on solid-state lighting conversions.

Also Stefan Michalski and I are working on a revised version of "Guideline for Assessing Solid-State Lighting for Museums".  The earlier version is a little outdated at this point in terms of the lamps we show but the color science and technology of LEDs is still accurate. We also include best practices in exhibition conservation lighting. I'm still making it available.

James Druzik
Senior Scientist
The Getty Conservation Institute

>>> Dan Brooks <dbrooks at hmns.org> 10/20/2014 4:21 AM >>>
Greetings all,

We are installing a new TX wildlife hall, and the gaffers swear the new LED lights have NO damage to the specimens.  But they also asked if I want UV filters on the lights!

Are LED lights damaging to animal mounts?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel M. Brooks, Ph.D.
Curator of Vertebrate Zoology