[Nhcoll-l] Damage from hot glue on shells

Steve Sullivan ssullivan at naturemuseum.org
Tue Sep 30 12:09:07 EDT 2014

I don't have any references but, as a taxidermist, I frequently encounter
hot glue on shells, bones, leather, and foam.  In this context, many other
agents of deterioration damage the mount long before the glue can do
anything.  If your shells are going to be on display for a while, I would
just leave them as-is.  However, some low-temp glues can soften under bright
lights so I would monitor for that.

If you choose to remove the glue, success totally depends on the
periostracum of the shell and the particular hot glue, and the conditions
during application.  For example, the glue will often pull off the
periostracum of unionids, regardless of conditions.  On the other hand, a
high-temp hot melt applied on a cool, humid day, through a low temp gun onto
a young conch might be pretty easy to pull off successfully.

Low temp glues are the worst because they stay soft and sticky under most
condition so they are harder to simply peel or pick off as a single mass.
Regardless of glue type, pull off as much as you can either without heat or,
if possible based on shell morphology, with mild heat from under the shell
(so you heat the glue where it touches the shell) then use a mild heat
source and scrape off the rest.  (I use fingernails for this but a bone
scraper, wooden cuticle pusher or other soft but sharpenable tool can work,
too.  Obviously we don't want to use metal or plastic.)  It won't always
work and will usually leave some residue.

If there is an unsightly amount left or there are deep creases that have
retained glue, you can use a densely woven cloth, like denim, between the
glue and an iron to blot off residue.  (I like to set up the heat/blot
assembly as a stationary tool then hold the shell above and move it across
the fabric.  Two free hands and the ability to closely watch the process
makes it more successful.  You may also want to use higher heat but only
touch briefly or even hold above the heat source to maintain a high-ish temp
while scraping.)  This will put some amount of heat stress on the shell and
may still leave a residue.  It may also leave fabric fibers, which might be
good from a display standpoint because they impart a matt finish to the
residual glue but may also leave a color from the fabric.

Any of the canned air products used to freeze gum might work in some
circumstances but are likely to damage the shell through rapid cooling and
most glues I've tried it  don't really respond well.  I've never tried any
solvents, I doubt any work.

--Steve

Steven M. Sullivan  |  Senior Curator of Urban Ecology

The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

Museum|2430 North Cannon Drive|Chicago Illinois 60614|
<http://www.naturemuseum.org/> naturemuseum.org

Collections|4001 North Ravenswood Ave.|Chicago Illinois 60613|
<http://projectsquirrel.org/> projectsquirrel.org

P 708-937-6253 | F 773-755-5199 | ssullivan at naturemuseum.org

A century of memories and lessons from the Passenger Pigeon at
<http://passengerpigeon.org/> passengerpigeon.org