[Nhcoll-l] Sharing our excitement -- CHAS mammalogy and oology data online through aggregator sites!

Dawn Roberts droberts at naturemuseum.org
Fri Apr 17 18:46:41 EDT 2015

We're so excited to see our data accessible online that we had to share!
Happy Friday!

Mammalogy and Oology Data Live Online!

As of April 15, 2015 the Chicago Academy of Sciences' mammalogy and
oology collection data is searchable by anyone with access to the
internet.

Data from our mammalogy (4,643 mammal specimens) and oology (9,075 bird
eggs and nests) collections is now part of three data aggregator
websites:  VertNet, Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF), and
iDigBio!

We are actively working on preparing datasets from our ornithology and
herpetology collections to publish to these sites within the next few
months. Stay tuned!

It was great to work with the folks at VertNet and we highly recommend
them as a resource for publishing collections data.  In particular, we
don't have an online database yet ourselves, and this is a great avenue
to broaden the accessibility to our data. In addition, we found that the
process of cleaning and uploading data to VertNet helped us prepare our
data for migration to a new database.

Dawn Roberts | Collections Manager

The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

2430 North Cannon Drive, Chicago, IL 60614 | Main 773-755-5100 | Fax
773-549-0344 | www.naturemuseum.org

Museum Collections and Archives, Collections Facility and Office
4001 N Ravenswood Avenue, Suite 201, Chicago, IL 60613 | Direct
773-755-5125

The Urban Gateway to Nature and Science