[Nhcoll-l] Problems with vegetarian gelcaps

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Mon Apr 27 14:44:38 EDT 2015

Folks,

In January, I purchased some "vegetarian" gelcaps (HPMC - hydroxyl propyl methyl cellulose) for dry storage of small specimens. Examining one from the collection today, I found that it was covered in moisture, both inside and out. Checking the stock of empty vials revealed the same situation - extensive moisture on all surfaces. These have been stored in less than 50% humidity.
Has anyone else had this problem? Retrieving and replacing all the gelcaps we've distributed in the last four months is going to cost us a lot, so I'd be interested to hear from others who've used them.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
callomon at ansp.org<mailto:callomon at ansp.org> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170