[Nhcoll-l] Transferring specimens from 70% alcohol into water for scientific drawing, and back again....

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 21:58:24 EDT 2015

I would not allow this unless the illustrator can make a really, really
good case for doing so. Any solution you use other than ethanol will
contaminate the specimen (you will most likely not be able to get all of
the other chemicals out of the specimen).

Why does the illustrator want to move the specimens to water?  It would be
better if the illustrator kept the specimens in alcohol and worked in a
properly ventilated space.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Instructor, Museum Studies