[Nhcoll-l] formalin fixed internal parasites

James Cokendolpher cokendolpher at aol.com
Wed Aug 5 21:11:09 EDT 2015

I have been following the current "rehydrating a formalin specimen" e-mails.  We have several jars of dried nematods that I will be trying to rehydrate.  My thoughts now are more to parasites that were fixed and currently remain in pH buffered formalin.

Should specimens like nematods, cestodes and the like remain in this solution forever if they originally were fixed in this solution?

We want to catalog the formalin collection but wondered if it could be transferred to ethanol without damaging the microscopical features first.  Is there a internet discussion list established for curators/workers with soft-bodied invertebrates?  My desire to work with vials of ethanol versus formalin is primarily for safety and future ease of housing the collection.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,
James

 James Cokendolpher

 Invertebrate Zoology