[Nhcoll-l] question

MJ Hatfield mjhatfield at oneota.org
Mon Feb 2 14:00:20 EST 2015

Hello Katherine Nesheim,

As a person involved with insects (to the detriment of about everything else
in my life, except land management for diversity of life), I have a question
about the new website that was sent to me.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__classinsecta.org_&d=AwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=rvCfL3XoePYC3AHf84s-J9qEr3So91Gim5CCtqMGxwQ&s=kb5uyknUpMKBuHdXkhDFwehYldNI-NilNWVQtZBP1hI&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.kickstarter.com_projects_1145981097_class-2Dinsecta&d=AwICAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=rvCfL3XoePYC3AHf84s-J9qEr3So91Gim5CCtqMGxwQ&s=z2oGf1nRBatgITOQ8OxSyQnmqtb2WMaOZ1jL3wGnTcc&e=

Why reinvent the wheel?

Good golly, BugGuide is very easy to use and taps into professionals, top
notch folks, worldwide, all in an effort to ID insects and learn more about
them, their ecology and life cycles. I've been involved in trying to educate
people as to the 'How To' of Bug Guide for sometime. BugGuide is easy to use
but sometimes just walking folks through the process, especially younger
aged folks, from field photography, through photo software and editing, to
posting (and interacting) on BugGuide is so much easier when someone teaches
hands-on.

BugGuide can always use more collaborators and editors. You may even recall
the founder of BugGuide, a computer programmer and an insect enthusiast,
easily got way over his head with the explosion of BG. That's when Iowa
State University took over the management of the computers and basic data
set up.

I attended one of the annual BG Gatherings and was delighted by the number
of children in attendance, finding and photographing bugs, and having lots
of fun.

I did look at your website and rec'd this message:

Resource Limit Is Reached

Always curious.

Thank you.

MJ Hatfield