[Nhcoll-l] NSC Alliance Washington Report - READ THIS ONE!

Kevin Winker kevin.winker at alaska.edu
Thu Feb 19 22:29:05 EST 2015

Nope. Sorry. This is incorrect: "The only way for a museum collection to
legally hold non-eagle migratory bird specimens is with a special purpose
permit issued under § 21.27. " See 50 CFR 21.12(b). I suspect most of the
bigger and more active bird collections in the U.S. fall under this clause.
Those who aren't may wish to inquire whether they can. Here are the details:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.gpo.gov_fdsys_pkg_CFR-2D2010-2Dtitle50-2Dvol6_xml_CFR-2D2010-2Dtitle50-2Dvol6-2Dsec21-2D12.xml&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=oJeK9mN5vWofioq4RDCZkAmSmAQXqsJlFKZTPi-3NO0&s=vH0QTJEFATO2TAAT_OdN1toyFbGe_EgooSsI1k8b9bA&e=

"(b)(1) State game departments, municipal game farms or parks, and public
museums, public zoological parks, accredited institutional members of the
American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums (AAZPA) and public
scientific or educational institutions may acquire by gift or purchase,
possess, transport, and by gift or sale dispose of lawfully acquired
migratory birds or their progeny, parts, nests, or eggs without a permit:
Provided, That such birds may be acquired only from persons authorized by
this paragraph or by a permit issued pursuant to this part to possess and
dispose of such birds, or from Federal or State game authorities by the
gift of seized, condemned, r sick or injured birds. Any such birds,
acquired without a permit, and any progeny therefrom may be disposed of
only to persons authorized by this paragraph to acquire such birds without
a permit. Any person exercising a privilege granted by this paragraph must
keep accurate records of such operations showing the species and number of
birds acquired, possessed, and disposed of; the names and addresses of the
persons from whom such birds were acquired or to whom such birds were
donated or sold; and the dates of such transactions. Records shall be
maintained or reproducible in English on a calendar year basis and shall be
retained for a period of five (5) years following the end of the calendar
year covered by the records."

With this, I agree: "One can't just cherry-pick parts of the laws that seem
to support your argument, you have to read the relevant laws and
regulations in their totality." And that's why I won't be expounding on
issues related to paleo collections. ;)

Best, K.

--
Kevin Winker