[Nhcoll-l] Proposed Dept of Interior regulations pertaining to museum collections

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Wed Feb 25 14:21:12 EST 2015

On 2/25/15 11:12 AM, Ellen Paul wrote:
> "so anyone who maintains a database like this should be able to add
> DOI numbers just as easily as we did."
>
> Prospectively, right?

Ours were not, and could not have been, since we didn't even know how
many specimens we had until they were all mounted and labeled, which
took years. Once we were finished processing, I simply told them "We
have X specimen records and will need X accession numbers" - they then
sent me a number range, and I dumped those numbers into a pre-existing
field in each database record for supplementary data. Poof. They still
sent paperwork for me to sign, listing their numbers, which was fine -
so they have what they want, and we have what we want.

Peace,

              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cache.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=AwIC-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=M3re8qbNe6_Txcqe68P7W_c2Um9QndkTYCbVYR6mVTs&s=hooP-c1coF9mM8PxdQMPbgVZ3cwq9hwJjr9bUm_Zeh4&e=