[Nhcoll-l] Strategic plan/vision for the collection community

Steve Sullivan ssullivan at naturemuseum.org
Fri Jan 23 09:51:33 EST 2015

A few years ago the Smithsonian hosted a conference called “21st Century
Learning in Natural History Settings.”  It included institutions from across
the spectrum of sizes and disciplines in natural history and promoted a lot
of productive discussion.  Unfortunately, they stopped short of finalizing a
definitive document that stated common values, goals, and standards.
However, many of these things can be found in the discussion summaries and
there are some nice drafts that may inform your own development.  The
homepage is here https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__21centurylearningnmnh.wikispaces.com_&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=2YvGtgYNe5YcOGgx1cAh95RjtIvaWNj_rTum9RQKthU&s=xvweIh9892Q1OkBWig2Pwe8QY_XP5aa3Sv82IOfwihI&e=    Of
particular interest may be the long term vision and value draft
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__21centurylearningnmnh.wikispaces.com_Long-2Bterm-2BVision-2Band-2BValue&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=2YvGtgYNe5YcOGgx1cAh95RjtIvaWNj_rTum9RQKthU&s=2VK_QfQikN6kYWrOMSpwRodThTtK9YqNyvSDsQrt_cs&e=  .

---Steve

Steven M. Sullivan  |  Senior Curator of Urban Ecology

The Chicago Academy of Sciences and its Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum

Museum|2430 North Cannon Drive|Chicago Illinois 60614|
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.naturemuseum.org_&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=2YvGtgYNe5YcOGgx1cAh95RjtIvaWNj_rTum9RQKthU&s=beibQIFTnKJFwcqzZ88Yq_jRY_PENZS7QCRRMH_tU84&e= > naturemuseum.org

Collections|4001 North Ravenswood Ave.|Chicago Illinois 60613|
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__projectsquirrel.org_&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=2YvGtgYNe5YcOGgx1cAh95RjtIvaWNj_rTum9RQKthU&s=d1Py1KmXe8kQxVOWiHJFX17dKFeLFRjfESvWbo8EPG8&e= > projectsquirrel.org

P 708-937-6253 | F 773-549-0344 | ssullivan at naturemuseum.org

The Urban Gateway to Nature and Science