[Nhcoll-l] Ranking of largest collections -- HELP

Alexandra Snyder amsnyder at unm.edu
Tue Jan 27 16:14:25 EST 2015

Museums of natural history would, most likely, be ranked (importance) based
on number of types, historical significance, etc. rather than number of
specimens and/or square footage.

The American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists has ranked
collections of fishes using metrics such as number of type holdings and so
forth.  The second survey was published in 1995.  You may want to look at
this paper.

   - Poss, S.G., & B.B. Collette. 1995. Second survey of fish collections
   in the United States and Canada. Copeia 1995 (no. 1): 48–70.

On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Christopher Kemp <cjkemp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please post this to the listserv
>
> Hi again all, I was really impressed and excited by the feedback for my
> project collecting examples of newly-described species with long shelf
> lives. It was great! (But keep them coming too.) I had another question. I
> don't know if this is empirically known or somewhat debatable, but I'm
> trying to make a list of the top 5 natural history collections in the US,
> and in the world. So, two lists. And I mean in terms of size, or number of
> specimens. Please weigh in. I'm assuming NMNH, AMNH, the Field for the US,
> but who's next? And in the world, I just don't know: the NMNH, the BMNH,
> the AMNH? I don't know. Share your thoughts. I'm at cjkemp at gmail.com, or
> respond on the listserv. Thanks in advance! -- ck

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=TgRKaBuJbntE2YowigOaSmh4PtfooU7yeAdgjU_nWJI&s=Zguxk9gsi-PFYG2AfA6ghTzxt2znO6ZusInJsFm4-2k&e=  for membership information.

Alexandra M Snyder
Collections Manager-Fishes
Museum of Southwestern Biology
MSC01-2020

Physical address for FedEx and UPS
Bldg.83  Room 204, 302 Yale Blvd NE
University of New Mexico
Albuquerque NM 87131 USA
PH.505.277.6005

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__msb.unm.edu_&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=TgRKaBuJbntE2YowigOaSmh4PtfooU7yeAdgjU_nWJI&s=oygPUzxGefj_fZv7BKknPTWaIuJ11SKCFrSOTV6Fb5U&e=