[Nhcoll-l] Designated ports of entry [Germany] wildlife trafficking and inspection process at JFK

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Thu Jan 29 03:06:46 EST 2015

Hi  all,

please be aware that FedEx US is suitable to export CITES material from
the US and probably the best solution, but that other international
FedEx  subsidiaries (e.g. FedEx Germany) refuses to accept and to
transport CITES material because they fear troublesome customs clearance
& delays. In such cases, re-export has to rely on other parcel carriers
and it might be wise to check if those carriers do operate & clear such
consignments at an designated port of entry.

Might be worth to compile such an list of international designated ports
of entry and share this list on the SPNHC website ?

In Germany, these airports are:

Frankfurt Main (FRA): DHL World post, also handling EMS imports arriving
from Brazil / SkyNet, handling Australian Post shipments
Düsseldorf (DUS): GDSK, handling imports of Chinese & Taiwanese Post
Colgne / Bonn (CGN): air hubs of FedEx (Germany), UPS (Germany)
Tegel (TXL): DHL World Post (shipments of national postal services with
destinations in NE Germany)
Leipzig / Halle (LEJ): DHL Express, DHL Worldpost (partim)

This list might be fragmentary and is based on import issues handled so
far from my side. Other airports may apply, surely are of minor
importance, but might be worth checking for specific shipments (e.g.
large animal mounts that need to be moved for exhibition).

All these airport can also be used to route international air cargo
shipments (as an alternative to traditional postal services, which might
fail to offer service from specific developing countries), as all these
airports do operate veterinarian border inspection posts and wildlife
inspection office (customs).

All the best
Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=2CRt2zWeS5vouMCdYzgqB0OLocSUniAJAnKn55c_Uk0&s=-06IExL8_ptPW209ZYznOBnAosAFu2vEDPsAKSjM2OA&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: