[Nhcoll-l] [HERBARIA] FW: Long Shelf Lives

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Thu Jul 16 08:30:35 EDT 2015

Just for perspective:

In 1902, a new species of snail was collected in the Ogasawara Islands, 1000 miles south of Tokyo. It went by steam ship to Kobe, then train to Kyoto; was re-packed and sent by train and steam ship to Philadelphia, where it was examined, figured and described in print by H. A. Pilsbry. From the day of collection to the appearance of the article in print took two months.

Fontaine, Perrard & Bouchet (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.sciencedirect.com_science_article_pii_S0960982212012481&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=A2KkAMeas-jDgWrCX5b4ur6R2ZxWJyKVfv3643L83wc&s=3Jt_UazfJ9rxyg6SdN6gLw6UX3A-Po9lL6jtvVvV5SA&e= ) have shown that nowadays, in the age of aircraft, the Internet and e-mail, the period between discovery and description is, on average - 21 years.

PC

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates

Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
callomon at ansp.org Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170