[Nhcoll-l] Need help with CITES matter

Ellen Paul ellen.paul at verizon.net
Thu Jul 23 13:29:12 EDT 2015

Last year, three U.S.-based organizations (Ornithological Council,
American Society of Mammalogists, and the Society for the Preservation
of Natural History Collections) petitioned the U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service to suspend or revoke the validation requirement for CITES
permits as to shipments of materials for scientific research.

As the requirement emanated from a CITES resolution, it would be even
better if we could get the CITES parties to suspend or revoke the
validation requirement because they all countries can eliminate this
requirement.

Therefore, we asked the USFWS to ask that this issue be added to the
agenda for the CITES Conference of the Parties to be held in Jo'burg in
Sept. 2016. The USFWS declined to do so.

Would any of you (your institutions) be willing to ask your CITES
Scientific Authority to propose that this matter be added to the agenda
for the COP?

If so, please contact me and I will send you a copy of the petition. We
can, if necessary, modify it so it is suitable for your country.

Thanks.

Ellen Paul

--
Ellen Paul
Executive Director
Email: ellen.paul at verizon.net
"Providing Scientific Information about Birds"
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.nmnh.si.edu_BIRDNET&d=AwICaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=B5W1D1gNAj4PSaxcrbsd4D_EslvlnljSfwaSXuKLe6I&s=mmiCQbmj4fZLeuuL8E6DOmDAYXN1WV6bSPxDr-mEFbM&e= "