[Nhcoll-l] plastination

Fran Ritchie franritchie at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 13:31:11 EDT 2015

Hi All,

A friend of mine works at an institution with a collection of plastinized
objects and would like to offer preservation protocols to his collection
care colleagues.  I can give advice on general care of plastic objects, but
I've never worked with tissue that has undergone plastination.  Do any of
you have these types of objects in your collections? Have you noticed
particular condition concerns? Do you store/handle them differently than
other objects?

Since the process isn't standardized, I recognize that different objects
are probably exhibiting different issues, even within the same collection.

Any thoughts or experiences would be great to hear!

Thanks,

Fran Ritchie
Natural History Conservator