[Nhcoll-l] NSC Alliance Washington Report - READ THIS ONE!

Sarah Timm stimm10 at vt.edu
Tue Mar 3 17:06:57 EST 2015

Though I wholeheartedly support documentation for collections and have been
a strong advocate for this in the geological community, I am doing so with
the hope of instilling a new perspective on research collections in
universities and institutions currently not documenting or caring for their
collections at all - because they don't see them as collections and there
is no evaluation, funding, or priority to do so. This is what I wanted to
change with the the help of GSA and policy makers.

The ICR is asking an awful lot of institutions that are doing their best in
this age to preserve, document, and grow existing collections. Though it
would be nice to have that information all in one place and many groups
such as EarthCube are working on that, the information they are asking for
would take an immense amount of time (where did they get 2 hrs/yr from!?)
and really not solve the problem because in another 100 years they would be
asking the same thing again.

*My suggestion to policy makers everywhere is to look at the cause of this*.
As Mathew said, we are already supposed to have this data all nice and neat
and ready to hand over if need be but most of us don't - *why?* *All of the
specimens being collected under federal grants in universities (let alone
the associated data) are being lost - why?*  If a group like EarthCube can
pull together data across the sciences to be used for future research then
that's great but that isn't going to solve the underlying issue. My
opinion- let's focus on the cause and the hope of a new perspective for
collections so that in 100 years the data can easily be procured and
reported.

--

*Sarah Timm *

*Curator at Tellus Science Museumsaraht at tellusmuseum.org