[Nhcoll-l] More on the gauntlet

Bryant, James JBRYANT at riversideca.gov
Tue Mar 24 14:29:48 EDT 2015

Yep: I worked at the IZ when it was plain ol' vanilla "Insect Zoo". What transpired in the early '80s, after I left, was an attempt to leverage the high popularity of the IZ into outside support for a refurbishment and (as it turned out) total remodel of the Zoo. The naming of the "new" exhibit was, as I understand, a highly contentious issue. What was settled on was that it would be called the "O. Orkin Insect Zoo" after the company's founder, and I think that's still the formal name today. The National Air & Space Museum seems to have had fewer qualms about renaming the Langley Theater (named after an early SI secretary) the Lockheed Martin IMAX Theater, but the planetarium is still named after Einstein, since opening in 1976. No corporations interested in "buying" a planetarium? Isolating a museum's assets from the overall mission, to use them as fundraising tools, can create targets for criticism and put the entire institution at risk.

As this "pop-up museum" has demonstrated, anyone can make allegations. Effective, ethical institutional management is an important way to ensure that allegations have no basis, specious or otherwise. Everyone should feel free to support - or not - a public, non-profit museum, and in doing so strengthen - not weaken - its mission.

James Bryant