[Nhcoll-l] storage flooring

Opitz, Cindy cindy-opitz at uiowa.edu
Thu Mar 26 16:48:14 EDT 2015

Hello!
We've received notification that our NSF CSBR proposal to rehouse our bird collection in modern cabinets on compactor carriages will be funded (yay!), and we're working with university planning staff on plans for modifying the existing floor pre-and post-rail installation. The system is going into an existing space (not a new build, currently a wooden floor over grout/concrete, c. 1907), and the current proposal is to remove the wood, install the rails, and finish the floor between/around the carriage rails with Medex. Do any of you have experience with that material? Are there ways to seal it? Are there materials we should consider that pose less threat to the collection environment? Does anyone have wisdom to share about putting new storage systems into old buildings?

Cindy Opitz
Collections Manager
Museum of Natural History
11 Macbride Hall
The University of Iowa
Iowa City IA 52242
319-335-0481
www.uiowa.edu/mnh<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.uiowa.edu_mnh&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=zB8K-cSqELeI6617qbDfuX4BZZaLMwIy3gwPMj87lx8&s=a8yk-5GEUMRckrK69yO8bKJa89lQStJuKk2GJ68UylU&e= >
[mnh_small]